Paris, often referred to as the “City of Light,” is a dream destination for many travellers. While it can be an expensive city, there are smart ways to save money while enjoying the best it has to offer. Discover the enchanting city of Paris without the burden of emptying your wallet with this helpful guide we have prepared for you to travel in the city of love. Immerse yourself in the captivating culture, delve into the rich history, and soak in the awe-inspiring beauty that this French capital has to offer. Here are some money-saving tips and free activities to make the most of your Parisian adventure:
Money-saving tips if you are in Paris for the first time:
- Paris Pass or Museum Pass: Consider purchasing a Paris Pass or Museum Pass for discounted or skip-the-line access to many attractions, including the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, and Versailles Palace.
- Free Museums: Many museums offer free admission on the first Sunday of each month, such as the Louvre, Musée d’Orsay, and Centre Pompidou. Check their websites for details.
- Picnics: Paris is perfect for picnics, and you can save on dining expenses by buying fresh baguettes, cheese, and wine from local markets and enjoying a meal in one of the city’s beautiful parks or along the Seine River.
- Local Cafés: Rather than dining at expensive touristy restaurants, opt for local cafés and bistros, especially those away from major tourist areas. You’ll get a more authentic experience and often better prices.
- Free Water: Instead of buying bottled water, carry a reusable water bottle and fill it up at the city’s many public water fountains, which provide safe and free drinking water.
- Public Transportation: Invest in a Paris Visite travel card or Navigo card for unlimited rides on public transportation, including buses, trams, and the Metro. Walking is also an excellent way to explore the city.
- Free Walking Tours: Many companies offer free walking tours of Paris, where you can learn about the city’s history and architecture while exploring on foot. Consider tipping your guide at the end.
- Parisian Breakfast: Start your day with a typical Parisian breakfast at a local café, which usually includes a croissant and coffee for a reasonable price compared to larger breakfasts.
- Lunch Specials: Look for “formules” or lunch specials at restaurants, which often include a starter, main course, and dessert at a more affordable price than ordering à la carte.
- Visit Markets: Explore local markets like Marché aux Puces de Saint-Ouen (flea market) or Marché Bastille for unique shopping experiences and affordable finds.
Free things to do in Paris:
- Eiffel Tower: While admission to the Eiffel Tower can be costly, you can enjoy its stunning views from the Trocadéro Gardens for free.
- Notre-Dame Cathedral: Admire the architecture and history of this iconic cathedral. Entry to the cathedral is free, but there may be a fee to access the towers.
- Montmartre: Explore the charming Montmartre neighborhood, including the Place du Tertre, where artists display their work, and enjoy panoramic views from the steps of the Sacré-Cœur Basilica.
- Seine River: Stroll along the banks of the Seine River and enjoy the picturesque views of landmarks like the Louvre, Notre-Dame, and the Eiffel Tower.
- Luxembourg Gardens: Relax in the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens, which features fountains, statues, and plenty of green space. It’s a perfect spot for a leisurely walk or a picnic.
- Free Museum Nights: Some museums, such as the Louvre and Musée d’Orsay, offer free admission on specific evenings. Check their websites for details.
- Cemetery Tours: Explore the famous Père Lachaise Cemetery, the final resting place of celebrities like Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde, or Montparnasse Cemetery, where you’ll find Jean-Paul Sartre’s grave.
- Street Art: Discover vibrant street art in neighborhoods like Belleville and Le Marais. Street art tours are also available for a more in-depth experience.
- Explore the Marais: This historic neighborhood is full of charming streets, hidden courtyards, and architectural gems. It’s a delightful area to wander and window-shop.
- Free Concerts: Keep an eye out for free concerts and performances in public spaces, churches, and cultural centers, especially during the summer months.
By embracing these savvy money-saving tips and indulging in a plethora of exhilarating free activities, you can embark on a passionate journey through the heart of Paris, where every moment becomes a cherished memory. So, ignite your passion for adventure and savor the magic of this exquisite city, without compromising your budget!