By Prachi Shrivastava
The world of technology is all about new launches and smarter features, and any gadget freak would agree that the most-awaited event of this season was the launch of Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ by this massively popular South Korean electronics brand.
When we were invited to come witness the grand launch in India on April 19, we could figure that the excitement among tech bloggers and gadget enthusiasts were absolutely valid as these smartphones are packed with user-friendly features that will be available in India from May 5 this year.
First things first, the pricing of the product — In India, Galaxy S8 will be available for INR 57,900 and Galaxy S8+ for INR 64,900. Not bad, as some people expected it to go much higher! And, you can pre-book the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ from April 19 to avail the special Pre-book offer of a free convertible wireless charger. The in-box accessories with the models are high-performance earphones tuned by AKG by Harman – music lovers, make a note.
Here are our top eight reasons why these smartphones are expected to be a rage in the market, take a look and decide.
- Infinity Display – The bezel-less design, dual edge infinity display provides a cinematic viewing experience offering 18% more screen forming a smooth, continuous surface with no buttons or harsh angles, making multitasking more convenient with the 5.8-inch Galaxy S8 and 6.2 INCH Galaxy S8+. Despite the large screen the rounded edges and symmetrical sides make them comfortable for one-handed operation. The physical home key on the front has given way to more intuitive soft-key with pressure sensor embedded under the display. The Corning Gorilla glass 5 on both front and back provides durability and high-quality finish.
- Samsung Pay – The Mobile payment Service with defence grade security. Using this user can turn Samsung Smartphone into a wallet, storing credit and debit cards, Payton as well as the government Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and pay on the go by just tapping the phone on PoS machine with Galaxy S8 and S8+ integrated IRIS scanner and other authentication technique Samsung pay will now be infinitely secure.
(Samsung Pay works with VISA, Master Card, American Express, Asia Bank, HDFC, ICICI, SBI cards, Citibank and Standard Chartered Bank.)
- IRIS Scanner- Galaxy S8 and S8+ offer the most secure biometric identification systems on a phone, including a fingerprint scanner, facial recognition in addition to the traditional options of pin and pattern offering the consumer an option to select the method that works best for them.
- Bixby – Galaxy S8 and S8+ makes life easier for users with Bixby. The intelligent interface eps users get more out of their phone. A personal assistant, with the new Bixby Button, you will be able to conveniently access Bixby and navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch and text commands. Bixby offers personalised help based on what it continues to learn about user interests, situation and location.
- Infinite Camera – It has a revolutionary, best low light camera and it is equipped with advanced 8 MP front camera with the F1.7 lens that is perfect for taking bright and high-resolution selfies even in dimly lit areas. It supports auto focus which when combined with facial recognition technology ensures you get superb selfies even from a distance. 12 MP rear camera utilises Dual Pixel technology for incredibly fast autofocus.
- Performance – The industry’s first 10 nm processor allowing smooth multitasking with 20 % less battery consumption than before. Now you can experience seamless and interruption-free experience when playing intensive games with superior graphic technology.
- Entertainment – The world’s first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as MOBILE HDR premium, Galaxy S8 AND S8+ let you see the same vibrant colours and contrasts that filmmakers intended while watching your favourite shows
- Convenience – The new models are IP68 water and dust resistance. It comes with hybrid dual SIM slot and has 64GB internal memory with expandable support up to 256GB.
GALAXY OF POSSIBILITIES
The makers of the phone claim that the Gear VR with the controller (powered by Oculus) allows you to watch stunning VR videos and play ultra realistic VR games. Enabling convenient one-handed control and navigation, the controller provides better motion interaction when accessing interactive VR content. The phones also connect to Gear 360 for creating amazing content.
Leveraging the processing power of Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+, Samsung DeX offers a unique solution that delivers a PC-like experience allowing users to multitask, edit presentations and even watch 4K videos on the big screen.
Looking at these features, we wonder if these smartphones can actually replace our laptops. Perhaps, we have to wait and see how the Indian consumers react to it after May 5, 2017.
(The writer is an IT professional and a self-proclaimed technology lover, who is crazy about new gadgets. Write to her at email@example.com )